Between October 2017 and June 2018 we’ve run four ‘Sustainability in Action’ masterclass sessions on behalf of the University of Brighton’s Green Growth Platform, along with sustainable events specialists Muon Events. We’ve trained 27 people from 25 organisations, and have had some great, stimulating and inspiring conversations.
Sessions were designed for SMEs – smaller businesses who often can’t find the time to think about sustainability. Some larger companies found it useful to promote the sessions to their suppliers, and we had an amazing range of business types – from farmers to fashion designers; and from bike hire companies to digital wizards.
We covered the background to sustainability, the business drivers and benefits, business risks and opportunities, management systems and developing a communication strategy. Exercises were designed to be useful back in the workplace, and we offered follow-up sessions to help get action plans working.
Here’s some of the feedback:
- Very interesting, came away with new ideas and inspiration
- Great course, very useful. We feel like we have a direction that we lacked beforehand
- Very engaging presentation style. Comprehensive. Good signposting of information
- Excellent presentation and extremely useful for our project
- Fantastic course – everything very clearly explained
- Difficult to cater to so many different industries and levels of ‘green understanding’ but would say that most of the topics covered seemed relevant to us, and good food for thought
We asked everyone to set out the three main things they learned, and the three actions they would take back to work. It will be interesting to see progress – if they all do what they said they’d do we’ll have some excellent SME case studies to inspire other businesses.